Taste is worst but nothing is better than for healthy!!!!
III B.Sc. CBZ ’A’
Mom… You made bitter gourd again I am not eating this again ……. We walk away to college without eating breakfast hurting mom who made it by getting up early in the morning and hurting ourselves without giving our body a healthy diet .And now it’s time to stop condemning it and better to consume it in more amount every day.
Everyday….. This may sounds weird but do you know it is considered as fruit not vegetable in several parts of our country. It is rich in vitamin C not only vitamin C it is a big basket of nutrients, iron, magnesium, potassium. I can understand it is hard to consume it raw but we could consume it with honey which is also good for health.
Wondering why I am forcing to eat karela so much?? Here is why….
- Respiratory disorders – The fresh pods are an excellent remedy for curing respiratory problems like Asthma, Cold and Cough etc. Also, the paste of bitter melon leaves, along with the paste of tulsi leaves, when taken with honey in the morning is a good remedy.
- Liver tonic - Drink one glass of bitter melon juice daily to heal liver problems. Keep consuming this continuously for a week to see results.
- Immune system- Boil bitter melon leaves or fruits in water and consumes it every day to fight against infections. This also helps to build your immunity.
- Acne- Consuming bitter melon can help you get rid of acne, blemished and deep skin infections. It is useful in treating blood disorders like blood boils, scabies, itching, psoriasis, ringworm and other fungal diseases. The free radicals in it are also useful for anti-ageing. Consume the juice of a bitter melon mixed with lemon on an empty stomach daily for 6 months or till you get the desired results.
- Diabetes- Its juice has benefits include helping to overcome type 2 diabetes. It has been a part of the Chinese and Indian ancient medicine for a long time but only recent research has proven that it is no folk lore. Type 2 diabetes is caused partially due to the inability of the cells to absorb the sugar in the blood due to insufficient insulin or due to development of resistance to insulin. In both cases, the cells are unable to absorb the sugar due to the ineffectiveness of the insulin produced. The absorption of sugar occurs due to the activation of AMP- activated protein kinesis due to which the absorption of sugar increases and hence, aids in bringing diabetes under control.
- Constipation- It helps in easy digestion as it contains dietary fiber. The food is digested and the waste is thrown out of the body which helps in curing indigestion and constipation problems.
- Kidney and bladder- It helps to maintain a healthy liver and kidney. It even clears kidney stones.
- Heart disease- It helps in reducing the bad cholesterol levels which clog the arterial walls and thereby reduces the chances of heart attack Also, it is known to lower the blood sugar levels that help in maintaining a good heart health.
- Cancer- It can prevent cancer cells from multiplying.
- Weight loss- It contains antioxidants that help to flush out your system. This improves your metabolism and digestive systems, thus helping you lose weight quickly. The two other major factors that aid in weight loss are the calorie control and filling components. Calorie control happens as such because vegetables are low in calories that allow you to consume more quantities of them. The filling component in this vegetable is water. We know that water is a universal suppressant of hunger. The pods of this vegetable contain on the whole 80-85% water.
- Energizes Naturally – Regular consumption of bitter gourd juice improves stamina and energy levels of the individual and improves sleeping patterns.
- Purifies blood – The antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of bitter gourd juice help to treat skin problems, blood disorders, clear toxins from the blood and purify it, and further improves blood circulation throughout the body .It helps to cure issues like itching caused by toxemia, rashes acne, psoriasis, blood boils and even inhibits the growth of cancerous cells in the body.
With all these good qualities we have a very good reason to start eating bitter gourd. Lets start today and cultivate having some healthy diet.